150+ years of history
Construction of this building as the First United Methodist Church was completed in 1867.
That's the year the John A. Roebling Bridge opened as the longest suspension bridge in the world.
Alaska was purchased from Russia that year.
African-American men were granted the right to vote in the District of Columbia,
and the first elevated railroad in the US began service in New York.
The Methodists continued to worship in this building until 2005. It was decommissioned and sat vacant for more than 10 years.
In 2020, a group of parents and teachers opened Community Montessori here, welcoming almost 80 students in that first year. The beautiful sanctuary was updated and is now offered as a non-denominational venue for special ceremonies.
The rental fee is a donation to Community Montessori's Scholarship Fund, which enables families of all means to give their children a quality education.